By Steven Roger Fischer
A historical past of the Pacific Islands
- strains the terribly different family tree of all Pacific peoples, their descent from Papuan tribesmen, Austronesian mariners and international colonists
- examines the wealthy inheritance of the Islands as a result of succeeding waves of invading, then dominating peoples
- explores the influence at the area - in addition to the corresponding international implications - of voyaging, whaling, pandemics, colonization, alternate, exploitation, warfare, nuclear trying out and nationhood
Informed through the latest learn and scholarship, Steven Roger Fischer's targeted textual content presents a accomplished but concise assessment of the Pacific Island's earlier. it's a hugely available and worthy creation to the heritage of a space that is presently rising as pivotal in overseas affairs.
Read or Download A History of the Pacific Islands (Palgrave Essential Histories series) PDF
Best historical reference books
Girls are all too simply forgotten in terms of battle. during this distinctive quantity, Cindy Weigand tells the person tales of woman WWII veterans now residing in Texas. those courageious ladies exhibit their warfare stories detailing actual assessments, troop educate rides, and dealing with the reactions in their households.
Deeply prompted by means of Enlightenment writers from Naples and France, Vincenzo Cuoco (1770–1823) was once pressured into exile for his involvement within the failed Neapolitan revolution of 1799. residing in Milan, he wrote what turned one of many 19th century’s most crucial treatises on political revolution.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2015 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Didaktik, observe: 2,0, Europa-Universität Flensburg (ehem. Universität Flensburg) (Institut für Gesellschaftswissenschaften und Theologie - Seminar für Geschichte), Veranstaltung: Geschichte in der Schule, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: „Wer Geschichte lehrt, versucht, historisches Lernen zu ermöglichen.
This wide-ranging examine of the Pacific Islands offers a dynamic and provocative account of the peopling of the Pacific, and its vast influence on global historical past. Spanning approximately 50,000 years of human presence in a space which includes one-third of our planet - Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia - the narrative follows the advance of the area, from New Guinea's earliest cost to the production of the trendy Pacific states.
- Where Mountainy Men Have Sown:War and Peace in Rebel Ireland 1916–21
- Das Goethe-Nationalmuseum in Weimar: Band 1: Das Goethehaus im 19. Jahrhundert. Dokumente (German Edition)
- John Morin Scott and Whig Politics in New York 1752-1769
- Verlust oder Chance? Der Große Brand von Hamburg 1842 (German Edition)
- Contested Empire: Rethinking the Texas Revolution (Walter Prescott Webb Memorial Lectures, published for the University of Texas at Arlington by Texas A&M University Press)
Extra info for A History of the Pacific Islands (Palgrave Essential Histories series)
A History of the Pacific Islands (Palgrave Essential Histories series) by Steven Roger Fischer